Sunday, January 25, 2009

Keep the Streets Empty for Me.















It was too good to last I guess. We had weather in the 60s for a week or so. Now SF is blanketed with cold, wet fog which seems to be the city's usual barometric resting point as per my experience. It's just such a stark contrast to the occasional and brief warm California sunshine that makes me glad to be alive. Now the biting wind stings my cheeks when I walk outdoors, and all of the housplants are starting to look a little bit dead.



























The cold and relative lack of any sort of daily structure in my life right now has made me a bit of a shut in this past week as well as mopey, sentimental and generally moody. I caught up on some reading and got heavily involved in watching comcast's horror movies on demand. Following my old therapist's advice I decided to bake my way out of it, and made some chocolate and coconut macaroons. I feel slightly more focused and am remarkably less inclined to smash things, but it might just be all the sugar. Tomorrow I think I am going to make bread or maybe a souffle.















After failing repeatedly to conquer the public transportation system the other night I rode my bike out to see The Wrestler. It was a good one. Aronofsky wins again. In something totally unrelated my dad found an exact copy of this Chewbacca trading card that he used to have in his pickup when I was a kid. He tracked it down for my old truck, and says it's a good totem because Chewbacca doesn't talk much and can fix just about anything. I put it on my dashboard the other day. Looks to me like the patron saint of hair care and auto repair. Chewbacca by the dashboard light.















I found this old belt at a used clothing store on Haight the other day. I bought it (along with a Morris the cat t-shirt, but that's a story for another time) initially for the belt buckle. It's a heavy brass affair involving an eagle soaring through the clouds with a broad setting sun in the background. I'd say it's pretty difficult to go wrong with that.















I was going to chop it up and use the buckle for something else, but I thought the belt was kind of cool, but a bit dirty and actually smelled a good deal like rotting vegetables. I washed the leather in some baking soda and found that most of the dirt came off revealing not only a pattern of hand drawn stars around the front, but an inscription on the back, from Marla to Mark. Lexi and I speculated on the possible outcome of Marla and Mark's relationship, and how such a decent gift could have ended up in a ratty vintage shop. Either way I am certain of 2 things: I scored a deal on a good belt, and I'm going to start leaving notes for people inside their belts.















It was also Nick's birthday the other night, so a few of us got together for burbon and fondue at Luna Park. It was good times. My belly and I love a good birthday party.















Afterwards I went up to North Beach to catch up with Andre and Hadley who were out doing a few shows with The Raveonettes. After laughing at Lars Ulrich's name above mine on the guest list I ran inside. As it worked out I made it in with just enough time to hear the last half of the last song. Solid. We had a few drinks and caught up, and everything was right with the world. When I got home I realized that I had ebayed the shit out of an auction for this Leica digital that I'd been coveting for ages. Score.















If it ever warms up I am going camping.

1 Comments:

Anonymous care said...

Plants bring movement and life to every room in your home. However, you will be pleased by the whole picture only if there is harmony in the arrangement and colour of the plants you have chosen. Once you have learned how to take these things into account when choosing your indoor plants, you can let your taste and imagination plan the plant décor for your home.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home